Monday, March 7, 2011

An Ordinary Fairy

Thanks to Cuzin Casey and Lady Ruthann for giving me this chance to branch out in my contributions to Akaska Temple Live.

The book I am reviewing tonight is An Ordinary Fairy by John Osborne

Normally, I don’t read fantasy/science fiction, I don’t do vampires, fairies, etc. And I don’t read a lot of what might be classed as “Pagan” Fiction, as what I little I have read in the past, was so badly done with Witches being portrayed in the Hollywood fashion, as either evil or very unrealistic, and well, I just don’t like that.

A while back, though, Ruthann asked if I knew of this book. She had recently heard of it, that it was set in Hoopeston, IL. Hoopeston as you may or may not know was home to the Correllian Tradition and their Witchschool for a few years. And way back I was involved with them. I have always found Hoopeston to be a great small town, one my family and I really enjoy visiting. By and large the people there are nice and the pace of life is endearing.

So I did a little research and found this book. The author has the Prologue and First Chapter on the book’s website. I read it, not knowing what to expect and liked it so much I bought the book.

The story is set in Hoopeston. On of the main characters, Noah Phelps is a photographer for a regional magazine. With an assignment to photograph rural Midwestern ponds, Noah decides to base this trip out of Hoopeston, which as a solitary Wiccan, he knows is home to Witchschool. Having said that, Witchschool plays no real role in the book and is no longer in Hoopeston.

While in Hoopeston, a friendly local steers Noah to a spectacular (although fictional) pond south of town. Noah meets the charming owner, Willow, who is just an ordinary fairy.

But there isn’t anything ordinary about this book. The author is very adept at description, so good that you feel like you are there. The characters are realistic and endearing. The story is enchanting. The mystery in the story is very well done.

At several points in the book, Noah falls back on his Witchcraft skills, and performs a spell or ritual or two. I really credit the author with getting all of this very, very right.

Truly, An Ordinary Fairy is a book that is hard to put down. And while I loved all of it, I was left wanting more. Luckily, according to the author’s blog, he is at work on the next book.

The book is available in paperback, which Amazon has just lowered the price on, and at Amazon for the Kindle, and at Smashwords. Author’s website is anordinaryfairy.com

An Ordinary Fairy is the perfect book to curl up with on a cold winter’s night. Or any time you want to read a really good novel that sparkles with an unordinary magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment