Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Be Blessed - Daily Devotions For Busy Wiccans and Pagans

Be Blessed

Daily Devotions for Busy Wiccans and Pagans

By Denise Dumars

Welcome back to Agrimony’s Book Nook. Pour a cuppa, get comfy and let me tell you about a book that I love and find incredibly useful. Tonight’s book is Be Blessed, Daily Devotions for Busy Wiccans and Pagans by Denise Dumar.

If you are anything like me, and, I am not sure how I feel about that either way, sometimes you get stuck in a rut. We know that doing certain things daily makes us happier, healthier and wiser. Exercise, eating well, meditating and paying attention to our spiritual life – we KNOW we are better for doing these things, yet sometimes we let things slide. I don’t know why exactly, when I figure that one out I will be sure and share.

Anyway. We slide, we want to do better, we want to get back to the way we felt when we were newer on our path. When we followed closely everything our teacher told us. Or our book suggested. But how?

Do we dig out our notebooks or books and just do that? No, we don’t. What we do, if we are wise we reach for Be Blessed by Denise Dumars.

Ms. Dumars is a Isian minister and Priestess and co-founder of the Iseum of Isis Paedusis in Manhattan Beach, California. She is also teaches English at a college in Southern California. The book is well written and edited – I really like that!

Be Blessed guides you in a gentle, loving way to reestablishing a daily practice that works for you. Or setting one up – I also highly recommend it for newer folks as well. Ms. Dumars never talks down, she makes you feel you are sitting in her parlor, having a cuppa with her and listing to her share her wisdom, just like the very best teachers do.

She also shares some amazingly wonderful guided meditations – so not the normal Tree ones. Not that I don’t love a good Tree meditation, but, I do like some variety. My favorite in the book is Goin’ to the Roadhouse: (with) Thor. I LOVE this one so very much. But, Ms. Dumars also gives clear instructions to create your own. I love that too.

Topics include, Greeting the Sun, Self Esteem for Life (regular visitors to the Nook, KNOW how I feel about that), Mindfulness, Dialogues With Deities: How to Talk to a God, That 4 Letter Word: Work, In Sickness and in Health: Yours and Others, Everyday Magick, And a Good Night to All, Physician, Heal Thyself along with useful Appendixes and an Index.

Greeting the Sun, the opening chapter shares terrific ways to get going in the morning. I adore her including this Morning Prayer:

I am born of earth and sky

I awaken with the morning dew and sunray

I hold my arms out to embrace the world

I reach for the spark of life divine

I am dust and water walking

Which is taken from The Egyptian Book of the Dead.

In the Chapter Everyday Magick she includes some simple, yet highly effective tips for Clearing and Balancing the Chakras. I know when I am feeling strange, a visit to my Chakra centers is often in order and this balancing and clearing works.

These are just some of the fabulous goodies you will find in Be Blessed.

This book is a perfect gift. It is one I keep handy as I refer to it fairly often. Be Blessed is a daily guide which doesn’t spoon feed you, it gives you the tools to feed your self. Check out Be Blessed, which is available at finer bookstores on and offline, and Be Blessed.

Thanks for stopping by the Nook! Have a great week and Be Blessed, Be Blessed, Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment